Sunday, March 23, 2008

More updates

Haven't updated for some time.

UCLA Registration, 26 March
And so I have to go to a computer lab in school on the coming Wednesday to register for UCLA. I'm gonna be nearer and nearer to June. This is so exciting.

Submission of supporting documents to Dean's Office, 19 March
I took a passport-size photo last Tuesday and I must say I look(ed) horrible. Simply because my face is rounder! T_T So last Wednesday I submitted the soft copies of (i.e., scan) my passport photo, first page of passport, financial statement, and some visa form. To the Dean's Office which will then help us submit to UCLA.

Confirmed modules
Some time ago in the past few weeks I've submitted the module forms for four modules:
  • Music - MUSIC 80F - Beginning Guitar Class
  • Ethnomusicology - ETHNOMU 120A - Development of Jazz
  • Physiological Sciences - PHY SCI 5 - Issues in Human Physiology: Diet & Exercise
  • Communication Studies - COMM ST 114 - Understanding Relationship

Guitar and Jazz will be my first choices (I'll be taking two modules at UCLA), whereas the last two will be the backup modules. I was surfing around the UCLA schedule of classes webpage when I realised that the lecturer for Development of Jazz is actually a musician himself, who composes and writes songs, and records his own albums and produces albums. He is Charley Harrison. Though I haven't heard of him. However, I think it'll be quite enriching to study under someone who is in the jazz scene himself.

Briefing last Monday, 17 March
We had a briefing last Monday where the return students talked to us about their experience there and we get to ask questions. One of them who took the guitar module said that the lecturer got a band to come down and perform for them in class. That's interesting! I am looking forward to studying there.

I forgot to ask him how he knew what kind of guitar to get. Never mind, I suppose I will get to know soon.

And during the briefing we were told that NTU people will be there too. Quite cool!

The return students told us that the factory outlets are out of place, i.e., no public transportation goes there except for the cabs. Which will then cost us a lot. They suggested for you to rent a car and drive there. I'm rather afraid of whoever's gonna drive us haha. A new friend, Amylia, asked DJ and CY and I if we're interested in shopping and she can drive and she checked out the rates and they're quite good. So we're most probably going to join her to the factory outlets!

I'm thinking of going to those factory outlets probably once in my first few days there and once more when I'm gonna leave.

I'm actually rather excited about the shopping part. Because there are factory outlets! Though we can't go there whenever we like. But there are so many things that I can buy at cheaper prices! I think I'm gonna spend a lot there. Sigh. Though I actually checked out an outlet mall in LA - Citadel Outlets that houses some of the brands I'm interested in! I have yet to find out if it is easy to get there.

Accommodation
Next up, accommodation. Chui Ying, Dai Jing and I have decided to bunk together at a 3-persons 1-room apartment, with a kitchen and living room and bathroom. I hope our windows will have a good view. *crosses fingers*

I'm hoping that Ivan will stay somewhere near us, so it'll be easy for us to meet-up. I think he's considering hall as well though, I don't know. If he stays in hall he'll be up north, whereas the cluster of apartments are at the southwest of UCLA.

Passport
DJ called the US embassy of Singapore and she was told that we don't have to go to LA with a biometric passport.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so u wanna get a guitar! there's tons of guitar shops along sunset blvd! go see!! woo hoo!!!!! i sell u my guitar!!!

March 23, 2008 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger erina said...

I don't wanna bring a guitar there! I want to get one from LA =P Haha.

Oh really? I'll definitely go see. Since one of the return students said he got his guitar from LA itself. (and the guitar case became his pillow for six weeks =S)

March 24, 2008 at 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home